Marketing and Social Media Intern
The Marketing and Social Media Intern will play an active role in collaboratively developing and managing the social media marketing strategy for First Literacy. The intern will work closely with and report to the Marketing and Communications Manager to create and publish a wide range of content for social media. This is an excellent opportunity for someone with superb writing skills, an eye for design, and an eagerness to learn. The internship is unpaid with an estimated time commitment of 5-10 hours a week. This is a remote position that may require occasional time in the office for meetings and check-ins.
- Schedule and post social media content on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter
- Manage the social media calendar
- Track key social media analytics
- Curate relevant content from partners and reputable industry sources
- Monitor notifications across all First Literacy social media accounts
- Proactively interact with followers and influencers
- Write blog posts
- Create and edit videos
- Design graphics for social media
- Must be currently enrolled in an accredited college or university and pursuing a degree in Marketing, Communications, or a related field
- Detail-oriented and organized with excellent time management skills
- Highly attentive to deadlines, self-motivated, and able to work independently
- Willingness to speak up, share ideas, and ask questions
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills (including proofreading)
- Prior experience using Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and LinkedIn
- Comfortable creating and sharing content on behalf of First Literacy with extreme attention to detail and tone
- Familiarity with social media management tools (Hootsuite), social media analytics, and Google Analytics preferred
- Video creation/editing experience preferred
- Experience with design programs such as Photoshop, Illustrator, or Canva a plus
- Proficiency with Word and Excel
Please email resume and cover letter to Julie Slack, Marketing and Communications Manager, at email@example.com. Please use the subject line Marketing and Social Media Intern.
Summer Intern: Research Project
Can you imagine not being able to read an email? Or not knowing how to sign your name legibly? Or never reading a book to your child? That is the reality for 32,000,000 people in the United States. In Massachusetts alone, 32% of adults are at the lowest literacy skill level. Only 10% of Americans have access to the adult education services that would help them learn to read or to learn English.
First Literacy’s mission is to fund innovation in adult literacy to change lives.
We do this by partnering with community-based programs in order to:
- offer free best practice workshops for teachers and other adult education professionals
- provide grants to adult education programs to support innovative ideas and practices through our First Literacy Lab grant initiative
- award scholarships and provide peer support for adult learners who are starting college
For the past 30 years, First Literacy has awarded scholarships to adult learners so that they could go to community college or training programs. We are seeking a summer intern to help us learn where they are now, what they are doing, whether they completed their studies, and if not, why. This information will be used to inform future decisions about programming. It also will be used for future funding requests to grants. And it can be used to show impact to our donors.
We need an intern who is interested in data and has strong writing and research skills. This could be an interesting opportunity for someone interested in journalism, forensics, development, or data management.
After coming on board and learning about First Literacy (its mission and programs), the intern will explore various ways to track down these former scholars. They also will create survey questions to ask the scholars and interview the scholars via phone. The intern will meet with everyone on our four-person team, since everyone will want to know this information: programming, development, and marketing. The intern will report to the Program Director.
Because this is a project-based internship, the number of hours will vary. But on average, the intern would work 8 hours per week, for approximately 8-10 weeks.
- Currently enrolled in an accredited college or university
- Detail-oriented, Organized, Self-motivated and Focused on Success
- Excellent Verbal and Written Communication Skills (including proofreading), Reporting, Multi-tasking
- Experience with Excel
Please send resume to Terry Witherell, Executive Director, at firstname.lastname@example.org.