First Literacy seeks a PART-TIME DEVELOPMENT MANAGER (.5FTE) , to join their team.
First Literacy’s mission is to fund innovation in adult literacy to change lives. We do this by partnering with community-based programs to: offer free best-practice workshops for teachers and other adult education professionals; provide grants to adult education programs to support innovative ideas and practices through our First Literacy Lab grant initiative; and award scholarships and provide peer support for adult learners who are starting college or professional certificate programs.
The Development Manager is an essential part of the First Literacy Team, which currently consists of the Executive Director, Program Director, Marketing and Communications Manager, Staff Associate, and Administrative Assistant. The Development Manager coordinates the fundraising activities in collaboration with the Executive Director and Development/Communications Committee of the Board of Directors. The Development Manager is a .5FTE position.
SPECIFIC RESPONSIBILITIES: Manage and implement First Literacy’s overall fundraising strategy including individual donors, major donors, corporations and foundations, appeals, and special events; supporting the Executive Director and the Board of Directors.
– Individual and major donors: Identify prospects, outreach, cultivation, and stewardship. Provide ED with opportunities to engage donors/prospects and create a follow-up plan for any/all contacts. Create donor survey and coordinate donor focus group. Manage the annual fund and major donor campaigns, including drafting appeal letters and corresponding thank you notes and overseeing prospect research.
– Corporations and Foundations: Responsible for all grant writing and reporting. Research fundraising opportunities and write grant applications, reports, and related communication. Work with program staff to determine specific financial needs and develop appropriate language for specific asks. Create and update matching gift protocol.
– Gift processing and database management: Create and manage gift entry protocol in First Literacy’s database management system (Civi). Process gifts and acknowledgement letters for donations. Create queries and reports for targeted mailings and other data analysis purposes. Maintain gift recognition/stewardship protocol. Encourage Board involvement in gift acknowledgment. Reconcile gifts each month.
– Events: Responsible for managing all aspects of the annual Corporate Spelling Bee, in coordination with the Executive Director and the Board; including actively communicating with Board members on the status of sponsors, maintaining relationships with existing sponsors, prospects and committee members, managing outside vendors, etc. Manage and coordinate small development events including, but not limited to, house parties, peer to peer fundraisers, and Young Professionals’ events. Investigate venues, oversee logistics including contracts and deposits, liaise with event staff. Attend First Literacy events and serve as an ambassador for First Literacy’s work.
– Board of Directors: Coordinate monthly meetings of the Development and Communications Committee. Manage Individual Solicitation lists and keep Board members apprised of significant gifts. Communicate needs re: contacts, introductions, etc. Attend bi-monthly Board of Director meetings.
– Other duties as assigned.
QUALIFICATIONS: A Bachelor’s degree preferred. A minimum of two years related experience. Excellent communication, writing, organization, and administrative skills. Experience working with a CRM System (ours is CiviCRM).
POSITION DETAILS: This is a .5 FTE Exempt position, with salary range between $28,000-$33,000, depending on experience. First Literacy contributes to a 403B plan after 3 months of employment. Health benefits are not available for this part-time position. Generous vacation and holidays, as well as flexible work options available.
APPLICATION INSTRUCTIONS: Please submit resume. In lieu of a cover letter, please answer each of the following questions, each in 200 words or less: Why are you interested in this position? How does a role such as this contribute to the mission of First Literacy? What does Adult Literacy mean to you?
Please send resume and responses to Terry Witherell, Executive Director, at firstname.lastname@example.org