Professional Development Manager, First Literacy, Boston, MA
First Literacy seeks a part-time Professional Development Manager to join their team.
Founded in 1988, First Literacy’s mission is to ensure that adults with low-literacy or limited English proficiency have high-quality educational opportunities that enable them to thrive as individuals and as family members, in their workplaces, and in their communities. We partner with community-based programs to ensure that high-quality classes in Adult Basic Education (ABE) and English for Speakers of Other Languages (ESOL) are available by:
– offering best practice workshops for teachers and other adult education professionals;
– encouraging, supporting, and disseminating innovative practices and resources through our First Literacy Lab grant initiative; and
– awarding scholarships and providing peer support for adult learners who are starting college.
The Professional Development Manager will join a team that currently includes the Executive Director, Development Manager, Program Manager, Staff Associate, and Administrative Assistant. Applications are being accepted on a rolling basis.
PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT WORKSHOPS
The Professional Development Manager plans and executes an academic-year calendar of professional development workshops, mini-courses, and information sessions at First Literacy for adult basic education staff in Massachusetts non-profit ABE and ESOL program organizations. This is currently a .4 FTE (16-hour a week position).
Workshop Strategy, Outreach, Planning and Scheduling (75%)
– Identify workshop topics of interest for the next academic year through formal surveys, workshop participant feedback, networking in the field, and community collaborations
– Secure knowledgeable presenters to address selected topics of interest
– Establish PD calendar of events
– Plan PD opportunities for “extended reach” effort beyond Greater Boston
– Conduct personal outreach to programs throughout MA to build awareness and expand reach, through attending conferences, meetings, visiting community programs, etc.
– Participate in collaborative efforts, as appropriate, with community-based organizations
Workshop Execution (10%)
– Serve as point of contact to workshop presenters, from initial contact through post workshop
– Responsible for all aspects of workshop facilitation including materials, set up, introductions, photos for social media, evaluations, etc.
OTHER RESPONSIBILITIES (15%)
– Prepare reports for Board of Directors meetings; contribute to other reporting as required
– Attend First Literacy’s Community Advisory Committee meetings
– Collect outcome data for fundraising purposes
– Maintain lending library for adult literacy educators
– Attend FL events as needed
– Bachelor’s degree required, Master’s in relevant field preferred
– Familiarity with current professional development practices and adult learning theory
– Flexibility as team player
– Comfort with and/or interest in learning Contact Relationship Management software (Currently all workshop registration communications are done by the Staff Associate on CiviCRM)
– Comfort with Microsoft Suite including Excel
– Experience with posting on social media ______________________________________________________________________
HOW TO APPLY
– Please send a resume and cover letter to Terry Witherell – firstname.lastname@example.org.