Program Director, First Literacy, Boston, MA
First Literacy seeks a full-time Program Director to join their team.
Founded in 1988, First Literacy’s mission is to ensure that adults with low-literacy or limited English proficiency have high-quality educational opportunities that enable them to thrive as individuals and as family members, in their workplaces, and in their communities. We partner with community-based programs to ensure that high-quality classes in Adult Basic Education (ABE) and English for Speakers of Other Languages (ESOL) are available by:
– offering best practice workshops for teachers and other adult education professionals;
– encouraging, supporting, and disseminating innovative practices and resources through our First Literacy Lab grant initiative; and
– awarding scholarships and providing peer support for adult learners who are starting college.
The Program Director will join a team that currently includes the Executive Director, Development Manager, Staff Associate, and Administrative Assistant.
OVERVIEW OF POSITION
Reporting to the Executive Director, the Program Director is responsible for planning, executing, and reporting on First Literacy’s three areas of programming:
• Professional Development Workshops
• First Literacy Lab Grants
• First Literacy Scholarships Program
This person is also responsible for facilitating regular meetings with its Community Advisory Council, and communicating with the Education Committee and full Board of Directors on programming activities. Other duties include providing technical support to grantees and representing First Literacy off site at Adult Literacy conferences as well as adult literacy advocacy and networking meetings and events.
PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT WORKSHOPS
• Plan and execute an academic-year calendar of professional development workshops, mini-courses, and information sessions at First Literacy for adult basic education staff in Massachusetts non-profit ABE and ESOL program organizations.
• Identify workshop topics of interest for the next academic year through formal surveys, workshop participant feedback, networking in the field, and community collaborations
• Secure knowledgeable presenters to address selected topics of interest
• Plan PD opportunities for “extended reach” effort beyond Greater Boston
• Conduct personal outreach to programs throughout MA to build awareness and expand reach, through attending conferences, meetings, visiting community programs, etc.
• Participate in collaborative efforts, as appropriate, with community-based organizations
• Responsible for all aspects of workshop from initial contact with presenters through post workshop
FIRST LITERACY LAB GRANTS
• Oversee the annual grant award and reporting process
• Provide technical assistance to grantees as projects are implemented.
• Conduct site visits for each project.
• Plan and facilitate annual First Literacy Lab Project Presentations event.
• Collect and analyze quantitative and qualitative data on Literacy Lab project effectiveness and impact.
• Oversee the scholarship award process, including release of application materials, evaluating candidates, and notifying the Board and candidates of award decisions.
• Coordinate the First Literacy Scholarship Awards ceremony.
• Organize workshops to facilitate peer mentoring, including an annual orientation and winter meeting.
• Provide additional support to scholars throughout the school year, including additional workshops, informal meetings, and other means.
• Collect and analyze data on scholarship recipients and impact of scholarship initiatives.
• Bachelor’s degree required, Master’s in relevant field preferred
• Familiarity with current professional development practices and adult learning theory
• Experience with networking and project management
• Flexibility and a team player
• Comfort with and/or interest in learning Contact Relationship Management software
• Comfort with Microsoft Suite including Excel
• Experience with posting on social media
Benefits include participation in Health Care plan and 403B retirement plan.
Send cover letter and resume to Terry Witherell, Executive Director, at email@example.com ______________________________________________________________________