First Literacy supports Adult Basic Education in Massachusetts by planning, hosting and facilitating free Professional Development Workshops for ABE and ESOL teachers, program administrators, coordinators, and counselors across the state.
We plan our PD offerings based on formal survey data and are uniquely positioned to respond to the interests and needs of adult basic education programs as they arise. We can add sessions quickly in response to unanticipated needs from the field.
The goal of these workshops is to strengthen ABE programs by providing approaches and resources that participants may implement immediately and share with their colleagues. Most workshops consist of two three-hour sessions and are facilitated by First Literacy and local ABE professionals.
In the 2016-2017 school year:
- 18 workshops held throughout academic year, including two at the Massachusetts Coalition of Adult Educators’ Network
- 5 ESOL Teachers’ Circles held
- 60 hours of professional development presented
- 137 programs from throughout the region represented
- 249 educators attended a workshop
- 69 educators attended more than one workshop
- 63 different towns and cities were represented by educators
- More than 6,000 adult students impacted by teachers’ participation
For more information, please contact our Director of Programs, Lenore Balliro, at email@example.com or at 617.482.3336 x13.
Register for Workshops
Workshop registrations will open about one month before each event. Click on the orange link to register and learn more.
Friday, December 8 & January 19
1:00 – 4:00 PM
Friday, December 15 & January 12
1:00 – 4:00 PM
Unless otherwise noted, all workshops will be held at First Literacy, 160 Boylston Street, second floor, across from Boston Common.
To receive email notifications about upcoming workshops,