First Literacy supports Adult Basic Education in Massachusetts by planning, hosting and facilitating free Professional Development Workshops for ABE and ESOL teachers, program administrators, coordinators, and counselors across the state.
We plan our PD offerings based on formal survey data and are uniquely positioned to quickly respond to the interests and needs of adult basic education programs as they arise.
The goal of these workshops is to strengthen ABE programs by providing approaches and resources that participants may implement immediately and share with their colleagues. Most workshops consist of two three-hour sessions and are facilitated by First Literacy and local ABE professionals.
In the 2016-2017 school year:
- 18 workshops held throughout the academic year, including two at the Massachusetts Coalition of Adult Educators’ Network
- 5 ESOL Teachers’ Circles held
- 60 hours of professional development presented
- 137 programs from throughout the region represented
- 249 educators attended a workshop
- 69 educators attended more than one workshop
- 63 different towns and cities were represented by educators
- More than 6,000 adult students impacted by teachers’ participation
Register for Workshops
Workshop registrations will open about one month before each event with an orange link to register and learn more. PLEASE NOTE: WE FOLLOW BOSTON PUBLIC SCHOOL POLICY FOR SNOW DAYS.
If you are interested in a workshop that is marked WORKSHOP FULL, please contact email@example.com to be placed on a waitlist.
Celebrating National Poetry Month: Integrating Poetry into the ABE and ESOL Classrooms
Friday, April 13 & May 4
1:00 – 4:00 PM
Unless otherwise noted, all workshops will be held at First Literacy, 160 Boylston Street, second floor, across from Boston Common.
To receive email notifications about upcoming workshops,
Schedule Your Professional Development
Find Workshop Materials
Click here to access resources from past workshops.
Ask a Question
For more information, please contact Director of Programs, Lenore Balliro, at firstname.lastname@example.org or at 617.482.3336 x13.