First Literacy supports Adult Basic Education in Massachusetts by planning, hosting and facilitating free Professional Development Workshops for ABE teachers, program administrators, coordinators, and counselors.
While we plan our PD offerings a year ahead based on formal data collection, we are uniquely positioned to respond to the interests and needs of adult basic education programs as they arise and can add sessions quickly in response to unanticipated needs from the field.
The goal of these workshops is to strengthen ABE programs by providing approaches and resources that participants may immediately implement and share with others in their programs. Most workshops consist of two three-hour sessions and are facilitated by First Literacy and local ABE professionals. All workshops are free to staff members of Massachusetts ABE programs.
To register for professional development opportunities, click on the registration link for the specific workshop you are looking for in the red box on the right hand side of this page.
In the 2015-2016 school year:
- 15 workshops held throughout academic year, including one at the Massachusetts Coalition of Adult Educators’ Network
- 3 ESOL Teachers’ Circles held
- 54 hours of professional development presented
- 94 programs from throughout the region represented
- 381 attendees participated in the workshops
- 106 educators attended more than one workshop
- More than 6,000 adult students impacted by teachers’ participation
For more information, please contact our Director of Programs, Lenore Balliro, at firstname.lastname@example.org or at 617.482.3336 x13.