First Literacy supports Adult Basic Education(ABE) and English for Speakers of Other Languages (ESOL) in Massachusetts by planning, hosting and facilitating free professional development workshops for educators, program administrators, coordinators, and counselors across the state.
We plan our professional development offerings based on formal survey data and are uniquely positioned to quickly respond to the interests and needs of adult basic education programs as they arise.
The goal of these workshops is to strengthen ABE and ESOL programs by providing approaches and resources that participants may implement immediately and share with their colleagues. Most workshops consist of two three-hour sessions and are facilitated by First Literacy and local ABE/ESOL professionals.
In the 2017-2018 school year:
- 27 workshops covering 14 topics were held throughout the academic year, including one at the Massachusetts Coalition of Adult Educators’ Network
- 88 programs from throughout the region were represented, including 27 NEW programs
- 269 educators attended a workshop
- 110 educators were first-time attendees
- 47 different towns and cities, including 7 NEW towns, were represented by educators
- More than 7,500 adult students were impacted by teachers’ participation
Register for Workshops
Workshop registrations will open about one month before each event with an orange link to register and learn more. PLEASE NOTE: WE FOLLOW BOSTON PUBLIC SCHOOL POLICY FOR SNOW DAYS.
If you are interested in a workshop that is marked WORKSHOP FULL, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org to be placed on a waitlist.
The first Fall 2018 workshop registration links will be posted here at the end of the summer — watch this space!
Unless otherwise noted, all workshops will be held at First Literacy, 160 Boylston Street, second floor, across from Boston Common.
Schedule Your Professional Development
Watch this page and your email for our 2018-2019 First Literacy Workshop Calendar.
Not receiving our workshop emails?
Find Workshop Materials
Click here to access resources from past workshops.
Ask a Question
For more information, please contact Director of Programs, Lenore Balliro, at email@example.com or at 617.482.3336 x13.